Saturday, November 22, 2014

I'd Like...

I’d like to think when life is done
That I had filled a needed post.

That here and there, I paid my fare,

With more than idle talk and boast.

That I had taken gifts divine,

The breath of life and manhood fine

And tried to use them now and then

In service for my fellow men.

I’d hate to think when life is through
That I have lived my round of years,

A useless kind that leaves behind

No record in the vale of tears.

That I had wasted all my days

By treading only selfish ways,

And that this world would be the same

If it had never known my name.

I’d like to think that here and there
When I am gone, there shall remain,

A happier spot that might have not

Existed had I toiled for gain.

That someone’s cheery voice and smile

Shall prove that I had been worth while,

That I had paid with something fine

My debt to God for life divine
.

No comments: